Sunday, January 9, 2011

Long time, no write

Wow, it has been a loooooong time since I've written any updates about Mac! Well with the bad weather and busy holidays he's had about six weeks off. Winter is hard here because our arena is not covered and so when it rains we have to wait for it to drain before we can ride in it again. Depending on how much rain we've had it could be just a day or so or it could be a week. Then, depending on the forecast, if the arena's just dried out and it is going to rain the next day, then we also don't ride because we'd have to drag it again and I guess we're just lazy that way.

I do have access to a covered arena to which I could trailer the horses, and I planned to do that, but depending again on how much rain there's been, the road to get to the covered arena may not be accessible to horse trailers. So stuck again.

I decided, then, to take Mac to my dressage trainer's place for the next couple of months. This will be a good way to keep his schooling up through the winter, keep me focused on his training, and also get the benefit of working closely with a great trainer who can teach us both a lot.

I took Mac there today and got him settled in. I think he'll like it as all the horses are in their own stall/paddock area that has good footing and is larger than what he's got here. She also has a round pen, a huge outdoor arena, a covered indoor arena, and a separate turnout pasture that is a couple acres. He didn't seem bothered by anything at all so I feel good about leaving him there. Although I already miss him!

Looks like I'll be going to the barn every day now in addition to doing my home barn chores and whatnot. I am very hopeful that we'll make a lot of progress in the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment